Vancouver before the fire from 10th Ave and
Quebec looking north
The talented Tomtu Huron Roberts came from humble beginnings. His family settled in Vancouver in 1883 from Toronto. His father, John Hugh Roberts was a tailor in Wales and e throughout his life kept dairies. Tomh lived with John and Anne Roberts throughout their lives so there is also a record of him. They granddaughter Winny also lived with them. The Roberts family was Anne, son Tomhu Huron Roberts (Tomtu), daughters Mississippi, Sarah and granddaughter Winnie.
Tomhu fought with is father John Hugh Robers to save their home during the great fire of 1885. They often walked together through many familair places in Vancouver such as Kitsilano, Granville St. what is now False Creek. They lived at Quebec St. and 10th Ave. and later built a house in Point Grey.
Historical Photographs of the Roberts Family - 54
Click here to see photographs of Family
1. (2) photograph John Hugh Roberts – Father of Tomhu, Missy, Sarah, grandfather to first boy born in Vancouver Charles, also Flossie, Winny, mystical writer, tailor, real estate agent, lived in Toronto and Vancouver
2. (2) photograph of wife of John Hugh Roberts – Anne Roberts (also in one group photos) – Mother of Tomhu, Missy, Sarah, grandmother to first boy born in Vancouver Charles, and also Flossie and Winny. Tomhu has sketches of his mother.
3. (4) photograph of Tomhu Huron Roberts – son of John Hugh and Ann Roberts – Early Canadian artist - lived in Toronto and Vancouver, uncle of first boy born in Vancouver. Tomhu is in a few also of the group photos.
4. (7) photographs of Mississippi Mary Roberts.. "Sippi" (Steele) daughter of John Hugh and Anne,lived in Toronto as a young girl, mother of first boy born in Vancouver, other children were Flossie and Winny , sister of Tomhu Huron Roberts. Tomhu has sketches of his sister Missy.
5. (8) photographs of Charles Steele – first boy registered born in Vancouver after incorporation, son of Mississippi and William Steele, nephew to Tomhu Huron Roberts, Missy and Sarah. Tomhu has sketches of Charles in his sketchbooks and also a painting.
6. (7) photographs of William Butler Steele – father of Charles Steele who was the first child registered born in Vancouver after incorporation (registration was in New Westminster) worked in Vancouver at the Hasting Mill but later had photographic company in Winnipeg Steeles and Co with his brother Fred Steele.
7. (2) photographs of Winny Steele – daughter of Mississippi/William – sister to Charles and Flossie (lived with her grandmother and grandfather and Tomhu . Many sketches of Winny in the "Vancouver" sketchbooks.
8. (2) photographs of Flossie – daughter of Mississippi/William Steele Butler, sister to first boy born in Vancouver Charles Steele, niece to Tomhu.
9. (5) photographs of Berta (maiden name Roberta Nisbet) wife of Charles Steele who was the first boy born in Vancouver.
10. (7) photographs of Sarah Anne - daughter of John Hugh Roberts.. her first husband was Hector the son of well known Charles McKenzie.. met at the Red River Village
10. (8) Group photos – various family members photographed together.
Images of People and Places in Vancouver 1885